Posted: January 9, 2016
Whether it’s from old age or damage, there will come a time when you will be faced with the issue of whether to repair your faulty garage door or simply replace the panel – or even replace the entire door. The main influencing factor when making this decision comes down to safety; is the door safe to continue using or can the fault endanger the lives of others?
At JB Doors we place great emphasis of the safety of our users, and so we’ve used our expertise to put together this guide for when it is safe to repair your garage door and when you should consider replacing the door instead.
Signs you need a new garage door
There are some irrefutable signs that you should simply replace your garage door to ensure the safety of your home and your family. If your garage door is showing any of the following signs or has suffered any of the following damages, replace your garage door panel at your earliest convenience:
- You can’t find the right parts: if your door is so old that you’re struggling to find the right components to repair the door, it’s time to accept you need a replacement!
- The door has taken a substantial blow: if you’ve hit the door with your vehicle or another large appliance then you will need to replace the panel to uphold the safety of the machinery
- You didn’t fix a damaged panel: if a panel of your door went unfixed after being damaged it can weaken the entire door and lead to the entire system needing replaced
- The door no longer sits in the frame properly: if you’ve noticed that your door panels have misaligned and that the door isn’t fitting securely against the floor or door frame, you should replace the door to prevent break-ins
Common problems that can be repaired
Garage doors, especially when fitted by a professional service, are fairly robust so most damages can be repaired, saving you the cost of a replacement! Some of the most common repairable problems include:
- Scuffs and scrapes: If your door’s taken a few small bumps along the years and the paintwork has suffered, you needn’t bother replacing any panels, a lick of paint will have it looking great in no time
- Your garage door is running slowly: If your garage door is acting jammed or running slower than it usually does, it may just need a bit of maintenance. Cleaning the tracks and oiling the mechanisms should fix this in no time. However, if this doesn’t resolve the issue, call a professional to have a look
- Sagging top section: if your door is otherwise perfectly fine, but the top section isn’t sitting properly in the frame, it is probable that some screws have come loose. Try re-tightening these before you spring for a replacement
If you’re unsure as to whether you need to repair or replace your damaged garage door, why not contact one of JB Doors friendly advisors for more assistance?
JB Doors have a dedicated team of fully qualified technicians able to repair all problems your garage door might face. We know how important it is to fix your door as soon as possible, which is why we offer next day delivery for spare parts throughout Rotherham, Sheffield and Barnsley and provide a thorough repair service.
JB Doors also stock a wide range of garage doors in a variety of styles including roller, up & over and sectional doors. For more information on any of our products or services, contact us here and we’ll be happy to help.