Posted: October 23, 2015
At JB Doors, we’re committed to providing an all-round service to our customers, from enquiries to installations, from maintenance to advice.
It is in this spirit that we are proud to continue to inform and advise you on how to make the most of your garage.
This article is dedicated to cleaning your garage floor in order to make your garage a safer and more attractive space. For detailed guidance on how to clean your garage door, this article will provide you all the information you need.
Why should I clean my garage floor?
Having slippery substances on your concrete floor can cause accidents and injuries. Furthermore, the stains can be trampled into other parts of your home, ruining your internal flooring and carpets.
As concrete is porous, liquids are soaked into the material very quickly so it is best to try and clean up oil or grease as soon as the spills occur to prevent your concrete from staining.
However, it is not always possible to clean up spills as soon as they occur, so use these tips to remove any oil stains you may have accumulated.
Removing small stains
If you only have small stains on your garage floor, you may be reluctant to embark on a full floor deep clean, in which case you can spot-clean your garage floor:
- 1. Sweep the area with a stiff brush
- 2. Use a scraper to remove any built up grime
- 3. Wet the area (this is to prevent the degreaser spreading to other parts of the floor)
- 4. Apply a degreaser (undiluted) to the stain – make sure you’re wearing rubber gloves for this part
- 5. Scrub the stain using a hard bristled brush and allow the degreaser to sink in
- 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5
- 7. Rinse the area
Older stains are harder to remove and may cause discolouration to the floor, so to test whether you have fully removed the oil, drop some water onto the stain. If the water beads up or doesn’t soak into the floor, you haven’t fully removed the stain.
Cleaning large areas
If you have several large stains, or generally just a grimy garage floor, it might be best to give the entire area a full clean to really bring your garage back to life:
- 1. Empty your garage to fully access all of the floor
- 2. Sweep the area with a stiff brush
- 3. Make a solution of diluted degreaser, roughly ⅓ cup of degreaser to every gallon of water
- 4. Pour the solution on to the floor and allow to soak for 5 minutes
- 5. Scrub the floor with the stiff brush
- 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5
- 7. Rinse the area – a pressure washer works wonders, if you have access to one
JB Doors are one of the leading garage door suppliers in Rotherham, Sheffield, Barnsley and the surrounding areas. Our 30 years’ of experience in the industry have enabled us to build up a professional and efficient service that has aided our sterling reputation amongst our customers.
What’s more, we have also put together a handy garage door guide to help you with your r purchase.
Our garage doors are made from the finest materials, providing a strong, secure and long-lasting garage door solution to all of our customers’ requirements. Our range covers all of the most popular garage door designs including:
For more information on any of our services, contact one of our friendly and knowledgeable advisors that are always on hand to assist our customers.