Garage Door Security – How to prevent break-insMay 30, 2014
Garages come in all different shapes and sizes with a myriad of purposes to suit every requirement. Typically, this space is utilised for storage of portable items such as cars, garden and DIY tools, bicycles or camping equipment – all of which adds up to a great deal of value.
Opportunity for thieves
As they are known for storing expensive, highly portable equipment, when garages are badly secured they present the perfect opportunity for thieves who may then have access to the main house. The aim of this article is to provide you with the necessary garage door security information to prevent break-ins and ensure you feel safe and secure in your home.
Garage doors are a common weak point when looking at security in a home as they are an easy target for thieves. A garage door is not only a weakness as a point of entry, but it also provides criminals with a shelter once they are inside – to a casual passer-by, an open garage with a van pulled up next to it doesn’t look out of place and isn’t an obvious break in.
Garage door designs
On the market today, there is an extensive range of garage doors available to cater to every need, all of which are designed to protect against the possibility of any force or impact. Listed below are a few types of garage doors available:
– Double side-hung doors
Tips to prevent break-ins
It is essential to carry out regular maintenance checks on your garage door to ensure it remains fully functional and sufficiently fulfils its role of protecting the contents of your garage. Most garage burglaries can be prevented by taking a few simple steps to secure and reinforce doors and windows. Our list of cheap and easy tips will guarantee all valuable items in your garage are protected against any forced entry or break-ins:
– Don’t leave your garage door remote in the car. If a thief breaks in to your car and manages to steal the remote he has a way into your home. Instead, replace your big remote with a small keychain version so you can have it on you at all times.
– Keep the door closed and locked at all times. It may seem obvious, but leaving the garage door open is an invitation to burglars and no area is 100% safe. If you have kids who forget to close the doors or you have a tendency to forget yourself, a door timer is the ideal solution for you. All you have to do is install the device that signals your garage door opener to close the door after a predetermined amount of time.
– Frost or cover any garage windows to stop people looking in. You can use curtains, shades or blinds, or apply a translucent film to the glass that obscures vision but still lets light in.
– Use a garage door lock in unison with a quality lock and chain secured with a ground anchor.
– Reinforce the doorjamb and hinges on the door by installing a high-quality dead bolt to resist any brute force or impact.
– Carry out regular maintenance on the mechanical parts of your garage door, keeping an eye-out for corrosion as this will wear down the structure of the door.
– Deter thieves with motion detector lights. This is an easy way to make your garage and home more secure as burglars will be reluctant to prise a door or window open when they’re working under a bright light.
– Bar the windows to prevent break ins. The obvious advice is to make sure you lock all windows and if you have windows that you don’t open, screw them shut so there is no possible room for entry. For the ultimate window security, add strong bars across the windows so that thieves can’t get in even if they pry open the window or break the glass.
Garage security is extremely important and an old or unstable door may be a more appealing target for opportunist thieves. Here at JB Doors, we understand the importance of keeping your possessions safe, which is why we offer an extensive range of garage doors and complete garage doors repair service to guarantee every security need is catered for. Our qualified team are on hand to provide expert advice about which type of garage door would best suit your requirements to ensure you feel safe and secure in your home. For further information about any of the products or services we provide, don’t hesitate to contact our friendly team at JB Doors today.This entry was posted in Garage Door Security. Bookmark the permalink. ← Troubleshooting the most common garage door problems How to turn your garage into a gym →