Best Garage Doors: The Ultimate Garage Door Buyers Guide
When looking to buy a new garage door, it is easy to be overwhelmed with all the options available on the marketplace these days. As well as offering an attractive facade, there are many functional features to consider, including security, insulation, maintenance and automation. To help you decide upon the perfect garage door for you and your home, JB Doors have put our specialist knowledge to good use to create this comprehensive buyer’s guide, providing you with key information to assist you in the decision-making process.Next section
Choose your Garage Door
The most significant choice you will have to make when buying a new garage door is which type to choose. However, if you aren’t a garage door aficionado, then it can be hard to determine which type - from sectional and side-hinged to up and over garage doors - will meet your needs and suit you best. Let’s take a look at some of the key attributes of the options available.
- The classic aesthetic makes up and over garage doors a popular choice
- Reliable and long-lasting
- Come in a wide array of materials
- Good scope for personalisation with many glazing, colour and finish options
- Generally one of the cheapest styles
- Sectional garage doors are very secure and robust
- Suitable for nearly all sizes and shapes of garage
- Available in many different materials, colours and finishes
- Lends itself well to insulation
- Space Saving
- Easily automated
- Roller garage doors are very compact and a great space saving solution
- Several material options and a wide selection of colours
- Insulating options available
- Easily automated
- Insulated garage doors will reduce your home’s heat loss
- Keep your garage warmer in winter and cooler in summer
- Save money on heating bills
- Improved weatherproofing
- Stronger than single-skinned, non-insulated alternatives
- Sound dampening
- Easy access, particularly for those on foot
- Side hinged garage doors are versatile and suitable for any size of garage
- Quiet mechanism
- An attractive, timeless design
- Variety of materials, colours and designs to choose from
- Side sliding sectional garage doors offer quick and convenient garage access
- Ideal for garages with low roofs or roof storage fittings
- Perfect for garages with sloping or awkwardly shaped roofs
- Light and quiet operation
- Can be automated
- Automatic garage doors offer easy, convenient access to your garage
- Improved security as there are no standard locks to pick or target
- Ideal for those with mobility issues as no physical exertion is required to open the door
- Safety features ensure the door won’t continue to close if it meets an obstacle
- Available with a wide array of garage door types and styles
- Garage side doors offer a quick and easy alternative garage entrance, ideal for pedestrians
- Many design options, including different materials, glazing, styles and colours
- Weatherproof and well-sealed
- Available in a wide variety of sizes
Manual or Automated?
When it comes to how your garage door opens, the benefits of automatic garage doors often outweighs manual doors. Electric garage doors provide an ease of use and increased safety for reliability and peace of mind.
Sizes & Measurements
To ensure your new garage door is the perfect fit for your garage opening and there is sufficient room for the operating mechanisms, it is vital that you carry out accurate measurements. Different types of door will require measurements from different parts of your garage, so make sure that you take this into account before ordering your door.
Made to Measure Garage Doors
We can accommodate all sizes of garage doors.
Get in touch with us to discuss your specific requirements.
What size is a standard garage door?
Garages come in many shapes and sizes, but there are some dimensions that are more commonly found than others. For domestic garages, there are are a few different typical sizes with the most common being single and double garages. Single garages are most common and can easily house a car, SUV, 4x4 or small van. For a single, there are a few standard garage door sizes:
- 8 x 7 feet
- 9 x 7 feet
- 10 x 7 feet
But there are a lot more single garage door sizes available.
Double garages give you more room and can be ideal for homes with more than one vehicle, those that want storage and vehicle space, or those who use the garage as a workshop. Standard garage door sizes for a double are:
- 12 x 7 feet
- 14 x 7 feet
- 16 x 7 feet
But there are a lot more double garage door sizes available.
If your garage door does not meet any of these standard dimensions, this is not a problem. Made to measure garage doors will ensure that no matter what size garage you have, your door will fit perfectly.
Getting Your New Door: The Sales Process
The team at JB Doors are on hand to help at any stage of the process, from providing expert advice and garage door buying tips to aftercare services. We are a family run business who offer quality products and great customer service. When you enquire with us, either by phone, email or at our showroom, you will then be guided through our easy and efficient sales process:
- Step 1: Customer enquiry
- Step 2: A time and date is organised for a surveyor to visit your property
- Step 3: Surveyor inspects your garage, discusses your options and provides a quote
- Step 4: You receive a confirmation follow up call, put down a deposit and book in your installation slot
- Step 5: We confirm your door’s delivery as well as your installation date and time
- Step 6: Your brand new door is installed by our skilled fitters